Page 1 Page 2 The full postcard list Reading list
Want to know more?
Many printed sources were indispensable to this project. I have compiled a reading list for those interested in the history of Williamsburg. Some are still in print and easy to find, but others are rare and virtually impossible to locate. Let me know if you want information on any of these sources.
Back to the main page
- Bath, Gerald Horton (1946). America's Williamsburg. Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg, Inc.
- Bauer, Maria (1944). Foundations Unearthed. Glendale, CA: Veritas Press.
- Belvin, Ed (1981). Growing Up in Williamsburg: From the Depression to Pearl Harbor. Williamsburg: The Virginia Gazette, Inc.
- Bruton Parish Church (1976). Bruton Parish Churchyard: A Guide With Map. Williamsburg.
- Byrd, Rawls (1968). History of Public Schools in Williamsburg. Williamsburg.
- Carson, Jane D., comp. (1965). We Were There: Descriptions of Williamsburg, 1699-1859. Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
- Chamberlain, Samuel (1947). Behold Williamsburg: A Pictorial Tour of Virginia's Colonial Capital. New York: Hastings House, Publishers.
- The Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company (1941). Visit Colonial Williamsburg with Us. Richmond.
- The College Library Staff (1955). Vital Facts of the College of William & Mary.
- The College of William & Mary (1899 - present). Colonial Echo.
- The College of William & Mary (1995). Vital Facts: A Chronology of the College of William & Mary.
- The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation (1971). Legacy From the Past: A Portfolio of Eighty-eight Original Williamsburg Buildings. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
- Colonial Williamsburg, Inc. (1966, 1979). Colonial Williamsburg: Official Guidebook & Map. Williamsburg.
- Colonial Williamsburg, Inc. (1936). A Guide Book for Williamsburg Virginia. Williamsburg.
- Colonial Williamsburg, Inc. (1937, 1941). A Handbook for the Exhibition Buildings of Colonial Williamsburg Incorporated. Williamsburg.
- Davis, Burke (1968). A Williamsburg Galaxy. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
- Davis, J. E. (1928). Jamestown and Her Neighbors on Virginia's Historic Peninsula. Richmond: Garrett & Massie, Inc.
- F. W. Dodge Corporation (1935). The Resotration of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. Reprinted from The Architectural Record (Dec., 1935).
- Farr, Evelyn Goodwin (1957). What Williamsburg Means to Me. Orange, NJ: The Marion Press.
- Foster, Andrea Kim (1992). "They're Turning the Town All Upside Down": The Community Identity of Williamsburg, Virginia Before and After the Reconstruction. A dissertation submitted to The Faculty of Columbian College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences of George Washington University.
- Foster, Mary L. (1906). Colonial Capitals of the Dominion of Virginia. Lynchburg, VA: J. P. Bell Company, Inc.
- Garrison, Richard (1939). Williamsburg Virginia: A Brief Study in Photographs. Richmond: Whittet & Shepperson, Printers.
- Gonzales, Donald J. (1991). The Rockefellers at Williamsburg. McLean, VA: EPM Publications, Inc.
- Goodwin, W. A. R. (1937). The Restoration of Colonial Williamsburg. In The National Geographic Magazine, April, 1937.
- Goodwin, W. A. R. (1941). The Record of Bruton Parish Church. Richmond: The Dietz Press.
- Hastings, E. C., Jr., and Hastings, David S. (1997). A Pitiless Rain: The Battle of Williamsburg, 1862. Shippensburg, PA: White Mane Publishing Co., Inc.
- Hawthorne, Hildegarde (1917). Rambles in Old College Towns. New York: Dodd, Mead & Company.
- Hawthorne, Hildegarde (1941). Williamsburg Old and New. New York: D. Appleton-Century Company.
- Hudson, Carson O., Jr. (1997). Civil War Williamsburg. Williamsburg: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
- Hunt, Althea (1968). The William and Mary Theatre: A Chronicle. Richmond: The Dietz Press.
- Jeffrey, T. C. (1982). The Bizarre Bazaar: The Story of The Williamsburg Pottery. Williamsburg: Jeffrey Publishing Co.
- Kale, Wilford (1985). Hark Upon the Gale: An Illustrated History of The College of William and Mary. Norfolk: The Donning Company.
- Kibler, J. Luther (1936). Colonial Virginia Shrines. Richmond: Garrett & Massie, Inc.
- Kibler, J. Luther (1929). Historic Virginia Landmarks. Richmond: Garrett & Massie, Inc.
- Kidd, George Eldridge (1957). Early Freemasonry in Williamsburg, Virginia. Richmond: The Dietz Press, Inc.
- Kocher, A. Lawrence, and Dearstyne, Howard (1949). Colonial Williamsburg: Its Buildings and Gardens. Scranton, PA: The Haddon Craftsmen.
- Kocher, A. Lawrence, and Dearstyne, Howard (1954). Shadows in Silver. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons.
- Kornwolf, James D. (1989). "So Good a Design": The Colonial Campus of the College of William and Mary: Its History, Background, and Legacy. Williamsburg: Muscarelle Museum of Art, The College of William and Mary.
- Maccubbin, Robert P. (Ed.) (2000). Williamsburg, Virginia: A City Before the State. Richmond: Carter Printing Co.
- McCartney, Martha W. (1997). James City County: Keystone of the Commonwealth. James City County, VA: The Donning Company Publishers.
- McDonald, Bradley M., Stuck, Kenneth E., and Bragdon, Kathleen J. (April 20, 1992). "Cast down your bucket where you are": An ethnohistorical study of the African-American community on the lands of the Yorktown Naval Weapons STation, 1865-1918. Document available online.
- Miller, Walter H. (1951). Williamsburg Pictures: How and Where. Richmond: The Dietz Press.
- Miller, Walter H. (1962). Williamsburg: Virginia's Colonial Capital. Williamsburg: Walter H. Miller and Co., Inc.
- Montgomery, Dennis (1998). A Link Among the Days. Richmond: Dietz Press.
- Morpurgo, J. E. (1976). Their Majesties' Royall Colledge: William and Mary in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. Washington, DC: Hennage Creative Printers.
- Nutting, Wallace (1930, reprinted). Virginia Beautiful. McLean, VA: EPM Publications, Inc.
- Old Williamsburg Reunion (1982). Williamsburg Reunion - 1942 and Before.
- Old Williamsburg Reunion (1994). Williamsburg Reunion - 1954 and Before.
- Old Williamsburg Reunion (2000). Williamsburg Reunion - 1960 and Before.
- Olmert, Michael, and Coffman, Suzanne E. (1998). Official Guide to Colonial Williamsburg. Williamsburg: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
- Preacher, Kristopher J. (2002). Williamsburg in Vintage Postcards. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing.
- Rosé, Grace Norton and Rosé, Jack Manley (illus.) (1940). Williamsburg Today and Yesterday. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons.
- Rouse, Parke, Jr. (1952). The City that Turned Back Time. Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg, Inc.
- Rouse, Parke, Jr. (1973). Cows on the Campus: Williamsburg in Bygone Days. Richmond: The Dietz Press.
- Rouse, Parke, Jr. (1989). Remembering Williamsburg: A Sentimental Journey through Three Centuries. Richmond: The Dietz Press.
- Rouse, Parke, Jr. When Williamsburg Woke Up. Williamsburg: Kwik-Kopy Printing.
- Scammon, Howard (1978). The William and Mary Theatre: 50 Years, 1926/1927 - 1976/1977. Richmond: The Dietz Press.
- Tyler, Lyon Gardiner (1907). Williamsburg, The Old Colonial Capital. Richmond: Whittet & Shepperson, Publishers and Printers.
- Virginia Gazette, The (1898). A Directory and Handbook of the City of Williamsburg and the County of James City, Virginia. Williamsburg, VA: The Virginia Gazette.
- Williams, Thomas L. (1954). Williamsburg in Color. New York: Henry Holt and Company, Inc.
- The Williamsburg Garden Club (1932). A Williamsburg Scrap Book. Richmond: The Press of The Dietz Printing Co.
- Yetter, George Humphrey (1988). Williamsburg Before and After: The Rebirth of Virginia's Colonial Capital. Williamsburg: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.