"The construction of the college's first library building was made possible
by a matching grant of $20,000 from the Carnegie Foundation. The college's library
was moved into its new home in 1909, and the building was subsequently enlarged twice
in the 1920s, both to keep pace with a growing enrollment and to bring the structure
into proper proportion with the other buildings being constructed in the Sunken
Garden "academic court" campus plan. Today, renamed Tucker Hall, the old
library houses the English Department and the Roy R. Charles Center."
--Williamsburg Reunion - 1960 and Before
Taken with permission from Williamsburg Reunion - 1960 and Before.