The Powder Magazine and Red Circle Club, ostensibly in the 1870s. The Red
Circle Club building (here pictured before the two-story porch was added to the
front) was the District Court Building during the Civil War, the C. & O. rail station
briefly in 1881, Hotel Williamsburg for many years, and Dr. Baxter Bell's hospital
from 1925 to 1930.
From a photograph in the Cook Collection at Virginia Commonwealth University,
Richmond, Virginia. Published in the 1954 book Shadows in Silver.