The Model School (or Matthew Whaley Grammar School), circa 1911. It was
located on the site of the Governor's Palace, just behind Williamsburg High
School. The school's full name was "The Matthew Whaley Model and Practice
School of the College of William and Mary," but everyone called it "Matty Whaley"
or "The Matty School." It served as a vehicle for instructing future teachers.
William & Mary students interested in pursuing careers in education would sit
in the back and observe, later giving practice lectures to the much younger
students. In the background is the VEPCO plant.
Taken with permission from Williamsburg Reunion - 1960 and Before.
From a copy of a postcard from Dr. Carlton Casey's collection,
Swem Library, William & Mary.