The Confederate Memorial and the Wythe House on Palace Green
c. 1914. The Memorial currently sits on the north side of Court St.
in front of the former Williamsburg Courthouse, after having been
moved from the Palace Green to Cedar Grove Cemetery, then to the next
James City Co. Courthouse, and then to its present location. It will
soon be relocated a fourth time.
Cabell Phillips writes: 'When a construction crew uprooted
the Confederate monument on Palace Green and replanted it on an
inconspicuous side street, a shrill cry of anguish arose from the
ranks of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The next morning
a wooden cross was stuck in the hole where the monument had been,
inscribed "crucified on a cross of treachery."'
Thanks to Barry Zimmerman for these scans.