The Confederate Memorial and Matthew Whaley School (Williamsburg
High School) on Palace Green c. 1927. The Memorial currently
sits on the north side of Court St. in front of the former
Williamsburg Courthouse, after having been moved from the Palace
Green to Cedar Grove Cemetery, then to the next James City
Co. Courthouse, and then to its present location. It will
soon be relocated a fourth time.
Cabell Phillips writes: 'When a construction crew uprooted
the Confederate monument on Palace Green and replanted it on an
inconspicuous side street, a shrill cry of anguish arose from the
ranks of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The next morning
a wooden cross was stuck in the hole where the monument had been,
inscribed "crucified on a cross of treachery."'