Topping's Tourist Inn, originally called Topping's Tourist Camp, c. 1940.
Established in 1925 by William E. Topping, it was the first motel on the
peninsula, possibly in Virginia. Mr. Topping was a Shell Oil merchant - the
Inn's service station can be seen toward the left. The site is currently
occupied by Fort Magruder Inn and Stonegate Apartments.
These structures are gone, but Mr. Topping's house (which he
called Rosemont) still stands next to Pocahontas Trail, empty now.
When the Inn's occupancy exceeded its vacancies, he would take
guests into his home:
A tiny circle in the apartment complex is all that
remains to commemorate the presence of the Inn: